Friday, April 30, 2010

BAD, BAD, OIL SPILL


The oil spill in Louisiana is seriously a disaster. I know because I lived in Cordova in1989 when the Exxon Valdez (The ship piloted by Joseph Hazelwood) reeked havoc on Prince William Sound.  The black ooze that slimed the waters and beaches was over 10 million gallons. This new oil spill will be worse. That was a ship that had a finite amount, this drilling site in the gulf of mexico is pumping out an endless supply. There won't be a good solution. The wildlife is doomed. The fisherman who made a living in the gulf, well, their lives as they know it, are over. I know all this because I lived in a community that experienced all this. I remember waking up every morning that summer listening to the radio giving the HUGE dead bird counts. The sad horror of the blackened sea otters and seals. The fishing destroyed. I could go on and on. So my heart goes out to the people, animals and plants who are now facing this reality. Lets think about this and decide.    NO MORE OFF SHORE DRILLING

4 comments:

  1. I remember the spill in Valdez also. The heavy since of grief we were all feeling in Alaska was over whelming. I wish people in big corporate businesses would make better choices for all of us. It is time for compassion to be the vogue ideal in business. Compassion means understanding someone's life, and our lives are all inter-related. Compassion with action reveals intelligence with heart! Greed is so ugly. The grief, and spill in Louisiana will affect us all. Pray for a solution, and for comfort in the Gulf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog because I woke up this morning thinking about this piece. If I remember correctly, it was included in "The New Beadwork", which came out when I was in my early 20's. How sad that the subject matter is still relevant today!

    On a more positive note, your work was such an inspiration to me as a young woman, and it remains so today. I am so pleased to see that you are still beading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology is the energy that drives our lives. It runs in the veins of society. Technology is related with innovation and creativity. It transforms ideas and thoughts into reality and into something that is helpful to society and human life. It has brought luxury and benefit to an average person's life. Socialmedia marketing Uk

    ReplyDelete